I suggest you ...

Add a small "wiki" section at the bottom of all pages

1. The current "Additions and Corrections" section becomes an open section that anyone can edit at the bottom of the page rather than being a link on the side.

2. No other section of the page is open to anyone an owner doesn't want it to be open to.

3. The page owner is under no obligation to incorporate the information into other sections.

4. Anyone, owner included, can add, edit, and delete in that section.

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MattAdminMatt (SummitPost Webmaster, SummitPost.org) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VisentinVisentin commented  · 

Sure, without knowing the code, for sure there is no simple way to do that....

• MattAdminMatt (SummitPost Webmaster, SummitPost.org) commented  · 

The idea currently is to track every entry and link it to a particular user, so that when spammers are deleted, their comments in the "wiki" section are also deleted.

I'm still not sure how best to implement that though...

True, but some pages are more rarely visited than others, and even if the community remains vigilant I am not sure it is enough to keep an eye on each wiki section of every page on SP.
        Spammers will be soon or late deleted, sure, but will their update remain after they are deleted ?
        To make sure it would work, perhaps we could trigger something like when someone is deleted from SP (apart from wanted deletions), all pages where they are the last to have updated the wiki section, this wiki section should be reverted to the previous change accordingly to the history.

Right, OK, I see what you mean. Yes, people will abuse it, but so long as the entire community is vigilant (remember the idea currently states that anyone can delete anything), it probably won't be a huge problem. Especially if we delete user accounts that do such advertising.

I meant not so much about spamming (with all catchpas and so on I'm not too worried), but for sure there will be users like "cheaptrekpakistan" or "everestguides" who will do what I described manually, like they already do by posting their trek ads as peak pages or so-called trip reports.
        Perhaps there should be an "abuse" button and following this action, a possibility to restore a previous version of what the section contained the few previous times it was updated.

While it's true that this would open the doors slightly more to spammers, we can put in preventative measures to slow them down drastically or stop them altogether such as captchas, etc.

And remember that they'll have to have an account to post in the first place. That requires quite a bit of manual work to do, so spamming is not a huge issue though it should definitely be considered here.

We should think about barriers. This is the open door to all kind of abuses. I would not be surprised to see soon in the Wiki section "Hike this mountain with blabla tours for 150$"

• mrchad9mrchad9 commented  · 

I like this idea!

This section should be dedicated on current conditions.
        There should also be a system to raise any abuse of this feature (ads, etc)

• marc Soltanmarc Soltan commented  · 

Should such an idea go into effect, we should have a mechanism by which the owner of the page is notified that something has been added to the "wiki" box. I honestly don't see much difference between this and having "additions & Corrections" except that this new section will be more visible, which is not a bad idea.

Feedback and Knowledge Base